F11 monitor configuration / virtualization

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon May 4 15:04:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 04:48 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> On 04/30/2009 09:52 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 21:46 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Where did the monitor configuration go in f11? I've booted a virtualized
> >> instance of F11 using kvm but can only get a maximum resolution of 800x600.
> >> The monitor is displayed as "unknown" and there seems to be no way to
> >> select one (like for example a generic 1280x1024 one).
> >> I'm also running an instance of WinXP using kvm and there I get higher
> >> resolutions out of the box.
> >
> > What X driver do you end up using?  What does the X log look like?
> >
> > There's a hack in the cirrus driver to detect when we're running under
> > kvm, but naturally it only works if you're running a sufficiently new
> > kvm.  There is no equivalent hack in the vesa driver, but there
> > certainly could be.
>
> I just rebuilt the latest f11 qemu/kvm for my f10 host system and now I can
> get to 1024x768x24 or 1280x1027x16 but not higher.

Right, like I said: the KVM in the host needs to be sufficiently new to
expose the hint to the guest that it's a virtualized device.

> According to the log the cirrus "card" is only equipped with 4mb of video ram.
> Could this be a limiting factor? 4mb seems to be a rather low amount of ram
> these days for a video card.

It is, but that's what you get for emulating a cirrus chip.  It's just
not that capable of a design.

kvm -std-vga will get you a plain vesa device that should be able to do
some higher resolutions, but without any particularly good
autoconfiguration hacks.  There's also some work being done upstream to
get a more capable video device into qemu.

- ajax