2009-05-07 - Fedora Test Day - Virtualization

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon May 4 17:28:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 12:54 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 04 May 2009 12:14:38 -0400
> James Laska wrote:
>
> > Fedora 11 hosts a number of virtualization improvements
>
> Just out of curiosity, is "documentation" ever likely to
> show up as an improvement? :-). It took months for me
> to get to where I had a vague idea what was going on with
> Xen and how to fiddle things that weren't available directly
> in virt-manager. KVM seems to be even more undocumented
> than Xen.

Thanks for your comments Tom.  Much like testing, documentation is
always an area for improvement.  And I imagine it largely depends on
what level of detail, and the use-cases, you are looking for
documentation assistance on.

I'm guessing by your comment you're interested in some of the low level
differences between xen/qemu/kvm.  Please correct if I've guessed
incorrectly.  I've had a lot of luck reading up on API's, file formats
and the like at the libvirt project site ...
http://libvirt.org/docs.html.  Let me know if that is the level of
detail you're looking for.

When RHEL5 was released, there was a focused effort to provide
comprehensive documentation around Xen and supported configurations.
While I gather much of this has changed in Fedora, it may be useful for
background reading
http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization_Guide/index.html.

One thing I've referenced several times while playing with
Virtualization in Fedora is
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Quick_Start.  This document
appears to be actively maintained.  Lastly, you might be interested in
following the Virt updates posted to the fedora weekly news
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Documentation_Virtualization_Beat).

Thanks,
James