a couple of problems with FC11 Preview

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 5 01:14:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 21:06 -0400, Will Woods wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 19:53 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 09:45 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> >

> > > Also, strangely, I can see options (in the Gnome dialog) to enable
> > > two-finger scrolling, but I don't think my trackpad supports this (at
> > > least, it didn't work when I enabled it) so I can't help but wonder
> > > whether this option shouldn't appear unless the trackpad supports it (as
> > > everyone know, Gnome has too many options as it is ;-])
> > >

> > Yes, the options should be disabled if they don't work. Unfortunately,
> > the only way to find out if the trackpad supports them is reading
> > Xorg.log, currently...
>
> Actually, the new synaptics driver can emulate two-finger scrolling on
> non-multitouch pads - something about detecting the width of the "touch"
> and using that. It works quite well, actually.
>
> So even though your pad may not be hardware multitouch capable, the
> driver actually *does* support it.
>
> Free upgrade! You're welcome! :D
----
thanks for the fish

I've been tracking this because I might as well figure out how to deal
with the touch pad on my Aspire One and apparently KDE is lacking here
without any libsynaptics.

So I've looked at the man page for synclient and have been commenting
out all of the various xorg.conf settings that I lifted from somewhere
along the way but I can't tell that it changes anything in synclient and
the man page doesn't help me much. Is there somewhere that has better
explanations of synaptics/synclient/xorg.conf interaction?

Craig

believed to be clean.