vmware problem in F11

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue May 5 00:44:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 22:35 -0600, Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 08:09 +0430, Adrin Jalali wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 2:41 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>
> > wrote:
> >         Lawrence E. Graves wrote:
> >         > Uninstall kmod nvidia drivers and install akmod nvidia
> >         drivers and
> >         > should work perfectly.
> >

> >         Huh??? How would that solve Adrin's problem? Not to mention
> >         that Adrin
> >         hasn't specified the graphics card in use at all.
> >
> >                Kevin Kofler
> >

> > Even if that was the problem, I'm already using akmod-nvidia
> > packages.
> >
> > --
> I guess that's the kind of answer an inexperienced guy would give.  Mine
> didn't work after I installed Vmware because it wouldn't compile, so I
> switched to akmod and mine worked.  I forgot that I have a friend that
> sent me some packages also to install. I am still having trouble because
> I have to force quit.  Sorry for the incorrect answer to your problem.

Actually, If you think about it, switching to akmod packages for nvidia
might actually fix the problems, but not because of a change to the
nvidia driver.

The akmod packages need to be able to build things, so they install a
whole load of dependencies that are compiler relate.  So, while the type
of nvidia driver won't change things, having a compiler installed might
be very useful in getting vmware to compile.

R.
 It's much better on my side"