speeding up boot even more? (rebuild mkinitrd)

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue May 5 03:44:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 21:10 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I have no raids of any kind, use no LVM, and never want to
> hibernate this system, so I'm thinking I could speed up
> boots with
>
> --omit-raid-modules --omit-lvm-modules --omit-dmraid --noresume

Nope. mkinitrd is pretty smart - if you don't have mdraid/dmraid/LVM
volumes, it doesn't bother putting the modules / setup code in the
initrd.

If you want to confirm this, you can use lsinitrd to check the contents
of an initrd yourself, e.g.:

su -c 'lsinitrd /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img'

> I'm just not exactly sure how to go about running the tool :-).

In short: don't bother, it won't change anything. But if you must..
kv=$(uname -r); mkinitrd --stuff -v -f /boot/initrd-$kv.img $kv

-w