NetworkManage and ypbind

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Tue May 5 16:58:12 UTC 2009

Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Are you having problems with ypbind (client) or with ypserv (server)?
>>
>> I had quite some amount of problems in getting ypbind going with FC11,
>> until I found, I now have to fill /etc/yp.conf and to add NISDOMAIN to
>> /etc/sysconfig/network.
>>
>> In FC10, setting NISDOMAIN in /etc/sysconfig/network had been sufficient.
>>
> Just the client.  It apparently is hard coded to check with
> NetworkManager via DBUS on the status of network connections.
> NetworkManager is turned off on the system so ypbind couldn't ever bind
> to the NIS domain.  I've created /etc/sysconfig/ypbind containing:
> OTHER_YPBIND_OPTS="-no-dbus"
>
> Now it functions correctly and doesn't depend on NetworkManager.

Does anyone else find it odd that ypbind (necessary for network-based
logins via NIS) is dependent on a service that will not start until a
user is already logged in?  Ditto for anything authenticating off a
remote LDAP server.  Can you say "Catch-22"?

If we're still futzing with the installation options for Anaconda, how
about providing two scenarios: one that's NM based and one that uses the
old, tried-and-true static configs and allow the user to decide which
one to use?  If you feel it necessary, you could even make the NM one
the default, but give installers the option to use static.

This would also help with the inability to log in as root under GDM.
If all your user accounts are NIS- or LDAP-based AND you can't
authenticate because the network is down and NM hasn't started AND you
can't log in as root under GDM, you're kinda, well, screwed unless
you're clever enough to use ALT-F2 or something on a text console.

-                   Never try to outstubborn a cat.                  -