Problems with Flash Plugin

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Wed May 6 03:48:13 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 09:49:05PM +0200, Fabio Locati wrote:
> After I have installed the Flash plugin, Arora and Firefox crush after
> ~10 seconds. These are the logs:
>
> [fale at localhost ~]$ firefox
> sh: acroread: command not found
> /usr/lib/firefox-3.5b4/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  4018 Segmentation
> fault      "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

Aside from the acroread error(which seems unusual in itself) this looks very familiar, could be unrelated but is selinux on? If so check a couple of booleans as follows but first the user context you run under.

[maximus at armadillo ~]$ id -Z
staff_u:staff_r:staff_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023

I am not using a default selinux setup BTW. If you have a default install with selinux you will be running as an unconfined_u . so it would look like this :

unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0

If you have modified your selinux setup please say how.

You don't have to be root to use getsebool but you do to change(setsebool) the boolean value

getsebool -a | grep allow_execmem    #we really don't want this on if we can avoid it, I mean you really do not want this on!!!

allow_execmem --> off        #off is good here, avoid changing it , if you have to turn it on then please say so since this should not be required, at least not for firefox. I have had to turn this on here but this should be avoided at all costs. My setup is not default either and I am still trying to work out why I need this on. Some programs will need this however and I don't know about Arora.

Personally I do not use adobe flash, so these are off here.

 getsebool -a | nsplugin

allow_nsplugin_execmem --> off
allow_unconfined_nsplugin_transition --> off
nsplugin_can_network --> off

setsebool allow_nsplugin_execmem on

setsebool allow_unconfined_nsplugin_transition on

I usually like to change one thing at a time but I think you need both for it to work. If you add a -P to the command it will make it persistent across reboots.

 Try without the -P first to see if it works,this way if it doesn't and you forget to change it back then a reboot will set things back to the way they were. Changing the final nsplugin boolean should not be necessary.The SELinux Management GUI under Admin tools will do all of this and make it persistent(without additional voodoo) as well but you will have to change it back if it doesn't work. Post back if this works and if it doesn't make sure you change any booleans back to what they were, especially in the case of allow_execmem bools, off is better than on. Hope this helps.
--
"Any fool can know. The point is to understand" --Albert Einstein

Bored??
http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Fuqwit1.0

http://fiction.wikia.com/wiki/Coding_the_Magic_into_the_Eight_Ball