Can't stop log

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Wed May 6 04:40:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 13:01 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> After I booted my FC11 test system and did an update, I tried to
> shutdown and got this failure.
> I clicked system->shutdown->shutdown_button and the system hung. An
> investigation of the log shows that attached behavior.
>
> If I log out and click the shutdown button it works, so it seems to only
> happen when using the button while logged in.
>
> Running 'shutdown -h' as root also works.
>
> I assume that this is an SElinux behavior, before I BZ it, is it intentional?

If the system *is* intentionally configured (whether by default or by
customization) to disallow mortal users to shutdown or reboot the
system, it should not "hang", but produce a friendly error message
informing the user they are not allowed to do that.  If it does not do
that, it seems like a usability bug which should be reported.

I see that Bug 495326 was closed; after updating and relabeling, are you
still experiencing this problem and getting AVC denials?  If so, I would
open a new bug if there isn't another one already.

It does not sound like a rational default configuration if you are not
allowed to reboot the system as a normal user, but to get around that
restriction, you simply need to log out.  IMO, that would be a separate
problem which should also be reported if that's the behavior you are
seeing with the default configuration.

-B.