how to get information out of koji with less pain?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed May 6 11:43:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 07:30 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> i'm currently trying to upgrade my kernel to the koji version to
> test the new video drivers, but after i've downloaded the koji kernel
> packages and try "yum localinstall", i'm told i'm missing the
> corresponding "kernel-firmware" package.
>
>   so all i want to do is find the koji kernel-firmware package but
> the obvious tricks don't work.  i would have thought that going to
> koji.fedoraproject.org and searching on "kernel-firmware" would do the
> trick but i get no hits.  what's the proper way to just *find* a koji
> package given its name?  thanks.

What I do to download the latest package from a specific tag (e.g.
dist-f11-updates-candidate) is:

 # koji download-build --latestfrom dist-f11-updates-candidate --arch
i386 --arch i586 --arch x86_64 kernel

If you know a specific build id you want to download:

 # koji download-build --arch i386 --arch i586 --arch x86_64 <build#>

You will need to adjust --arch accordingly I believe.

> p.s.  what's the point of that search box anyway?  if i type in
> "kernel", i get no hits.  what's up with *that*?

It depends on what's selected in the drop down list (Packages, Builds,
Users, Tags etc...).  If I search for "kernel" with Packages selected,
it takes me to
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8.

When in doubt, add glob patterns.  To search for anything gnome...
search for
"gnome*" (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/search?terms=gnome*&type=package&match=glob).

Thanks,
James