media key behavior?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu May 7 01:20:24 UTC 2009

I was just playing with my new keyboard, and I noticed a
strange difference between fedora 10 and fedora 11:

On fedora 10, the mute and volume keys seem to briefly
pop up a little volume control to reflect the status.
(As far as I know, I did nothing to configure this
to happen and I actually wish it wouldn't :-).

On fedora 11, the same keys do nothing.

Anyone know what is going on here (and who is arranging
to hook up those volume keys to something)? Some strange
hal connection maybe?

Most of the other extra buttons (with labels like mail
and search and wot-not) show up in xev as keycodes with
no associated keysyms.

Thankfully, the Power and Sleep buttons don't seem to be
attached to anything :-).