media key behavior?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Thu May 7 17:01:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 07 May 2009 08:33:16 -0700
Adam Williamson wrote:

> Thinkpad?

I don't think so. I finally tracked down the f10 behavior to
key bindings in gnome-settings-daemon (which I turned off once
I found em :-), but there seems to be something weirdly random
with the keymap settings. In f10 some of the keys showed up
in xev with keysyms (like XF86AudioMute), others were just plain
keycodes with no associated keysym, and not only do a different
set of keys have keysyms in f11, but the same keyboard in
a different f10 box also shows different keysyms.

Is the keymap something that is remembered permanently from
install time or something? (Because all of these systems probably
had different keyboards when they were installed).

Anyway, I provided /etc/X11/Xmodmap entries for all the keycodes
and they all show up with the appropriate keysym now.