Keyboard does not work with Grub menu - How widespread?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Mon May 11 02:23:39 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 22:19 -0400, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I sometimes have this problem too, but I can't remember the specific
> details. I think most of these can't-get-grub-to-see-my-keyboard
> experiences are related to the less expensive genre of motherboards. One
> of my wife's very nice looking, fancy Dell USB keyboards doesn't
> function at all and it took me a long time to realize that. It got a few
> hard knocks too many while traveling with us. My USD $15 Logitech USB
> keyboard works great. An even cheaper $10 Inland brand USB keyboard also
> worked wonderfully until I left it in my car one freezing cold night. So
> if at first your keyboard don't work, try a second keyboard which is
> known-good.
>
> And oh, my problem over here is not enough mice. They don't breed enough.

I often have problems just getting into the grub menu.

It used to be that you could push any key (not the ANY key) but now it
seems that I'm meant to push a specific key, but which one I don't know.

Rolling through TAB, L-SHIFT, L-CTRL, R-SHIFT and R_CTRL seems to give
the best outcome, but doesn't always work.

R.