2009-05-14 - Fedora Test Day - IBus input method

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 11 15:39:01 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:59:25PM +0800, Liam wrote:
> Greetings testers,
>
> IBus input method - Ibus has been rewritten in C, and provides a simple,
> clean default system for changing the way international users input
> information into a Fedora system.
> Most of the work on iBus is being done upstream by Huang Peng. This
> feature proposal covers moving from scim to ibus as the default input
> method framework for Fedora 11
> iBus is designed to improve a number of deficiencies of scim:

Looking at the testing page, I see 4 desktops listed.  I remember last
time I played with it, it didn't work properly in fluxbox whereas scim
does.

Looking at the imsettings enable page, linked from the test page,
again it assumes that someone is running one of these.  For me,
and probably many others (such as many members of the Tokyo Linux
User Group, many of whom are old timers who
prefer minimalist *box window managers, can it be enabled as simply as
scim with XMODIFIERS='@im=ibus'?  If so, that should definitely be put
on the page.

For example, I simply run a little script XMODIFIERS='@im=SCIM'
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 ${1+"$@"} &  if I need to use Japanese in an
application. (I use it most frequently in vi, and on occasion,
OpenOffice, where I use LC_CTYPE as ja_JP.UTF-8, having a second script
for that.

Again, I don't think this is that atypical.

Trying on F10, I still wasn't able to get it working in Fluxbox, I'll
try on F11

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: In order...to be worthy...you must perform the
ritual...in a tutu. Pillock!
Angel: All right, someone get the chain saw.