newbie guide to asterisk on f11?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 12 08:51:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> There is a book on-line "Asterisk - The Future of Telephony", 2nd
> ed. (604 pages) free http://astbook.asteriskdocs.org/ (See link in
> the middle of the page) This doc is for version 1.4, but for a
> newbie, there isn't much difference between 1.4 and 1.6
>
> You might experiment with Asterisk using a system other than F11.
> Asterisk is complex in itself, and you want to be confident that you
> are fighting Asterisk configuration issues rather than F11 bugs.
>
> However, F9/F10 uses a buggy version of Asterisk (1.605). It hasn't
> been upgraded to get the fix for a few months - 1.609 has the fix.

  at the moment, f11 has asterisk-1.6.1-0.23.rc1.fc11.x86_64 on my
system, so i'm guessing that doesn't have the aforementioned bug.  and
as for testing this on something other than an F11 system, actually,
i'm pre-pub tech reviewing an upcoming asterisk book and part of my
duties is to verify that at least the first few exercises work on
fedora, so i really have some incentive to make sure this works on
fedora.  :-)

  at the moment, it *appears* that my problem is that asterisk has
been broken down into numerous packages for fedora packaging, and i
need to determine what packages to install along with the core package
mentioned above.  that means that i'm going to end up suggesting some
text along the lines of, "if you're trying to play with asterisk on
fedora 11, it's not enough to just install the base package, you'll
need to install a number of other packages," followed by some kind of
recipe for determining which ones.

  so if someone has been down that road already, i'm open to
suggestions.  otherwise, i'll just play until i figure it out.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday