2009-05-14 - Fedora Test Day - IBus input method

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue May 12 15:42:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 05:04:55PM +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.testers.]
> On 2009-05-11, 13:59 GMT, Liam wrote:

> > iBus is designed to improve a number of deficiencies of scim:

I played with ibus, finally, on Rawhide.  It will work in fluxbox, and
works with OpenOffice and firefox. Scim seems to have regressed, no
longer working in openoffice.  While ibus was installed, when I started
openoffice with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 I got errors that it was trying to
contact ibus, so I'm wondering if this has broken scim--which works
perfectly with OO in F10, (as long as I remove ibus.)

It also doesn't work with my two most common apps where I use Japanese,
urxvt and/or uxterm.

It doesn't work in opera.

Scim works in all of those, and did work in OO till rawhide.

While it works quite nicely in firefox and openoffice, for me, I fear,
it's a major regression and I wish that Fedora would strongly reconsider
making it a default.  On the other hand, as long as scim is available,
it isn't a major issue.

At present, I don't really have time to file a proper bug report, but
will try in the next few days--or at least get mention of it on my still
somewhat popular page on Japanese in Linux (and still listed, with an
incorrect URL, in the scim-anthy README.  I've written the author about
changing that URL, but so far,hasn't been fixed--a scim-anthy, not a
fedora, issue)  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.