What the "H" gives with FC11 install

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Tue May 12 17:01:52 UTC 2009

> Trying to make custom partitions in Fedora 11 install, from a Fedora 8
> install
> /
> /home
> swap
>
> It won't let met make / as ext4 , because it says can't make ext4 as
> boot partition.
> So I change it to ext3, and it says "your / partition does not match the
> live image you are installing from. It must be formatted as ext4".

If you're installing from a livecd, you are constrainted in what you can
do.  You have to make / be ext4 because the livecd's ext4 and we just
copy the filesystem over.  But, grub can't boot off ext4 so you have to
make sure the partition holding /boot is ext3.  So you need to make a
separate /boot partition and have it be ext3.

- Chris