Settng DPI on gdm and Sessions

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue May 12 23:05:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 18:40 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:50:03 -0600
> Christopher A. Williams wrote:
>
> > How do we do this, or are we just simply at the mercy of whatever gdm
> > decides to do?
>
> I've been fighting with DPI a lot. My simplest solution is to switch
> from gdm to kdm and edit the kdmrc file to add -dpi 96 to the server
> args, but you can fool gdm into setting dpi for the duration of the
> login screen by copying your own ~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/font_rendering
> directory to ~gdm (and fixing ownership to be owned by gdm). (This
> assumes you have already set dpi to 96 in the fonts tab of the window
> appearance preferences).
>
> For more on the DPI saga, see:
>
> http://braindump.home.att.net/dpi.html

Thanks. Interesting read to be sure. It would actually be comical if it
wasn't so serious. Hopefully someone with decision authority in X.org
will understand the folly of the "improvements" that have been made and
provide a practical way to have a manual override.

Fortunately, I have an nVidia card on one of my systems. Unfortunately,
my laptop has switchable graphics - with the choice of Intel or ATI
chipsets. Guess there really isn't going to be much of a workable
solution which covers all of the bases for that one...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw