F11 nfs4 weirdness - all files nobody.nobody owned

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200905 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 21:03:31 UTC 2009

I'm seeing an unexplained weirdness with nfs4.  All the exported files
show up as owned by nobody.nobody from the nfs4 client's perspective
when I do the mount by hand.  It is entirely possible that this is just
me not understanding how to export something transparently.  Strangely
automount when running on the same client doesn't have that problem.
I'm either missing a mount option, or nfs4 mounts via mount.nfs have
problems.  But which one is it???

The setup:

on nfs4 server (fedora-10)

/etc/exports:

/	192.83.197.100(rw,fsid=0,no_root_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)

/etc/sysconfig/nfs:

MOUNTD_NFS_V2="no"
MOUNTD_NFS_V3="no"
RPCNFSDARGS="-N 2 -N 3"
RPCNFSDCOUNT=1

on clients (fedora-11):

mkdir /tmp/mnt
mount -t nfs4 -o hard,intr,nodev,nosuid arbol.wsrcc.com:/ /tmp/mnt

/etc/auto.vol:
arbol		-fstype=nfs4,hard,intr,nodev,nosuid	arbol:/

$ ls -l /tmp/mnt
<lots of nobody.nobody owned files>

Strangely when I access the auto.vol map, I do see the files owned by
root.root as I was expecting.  How come automount can see the correct
owner but mounts done via "mount -t nfs4 ..." can't?

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.