USB Device Permissions In Fedora 11

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200905 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 22:57:25 UTC 2009

Robert L Cochran <cochranb at speakeasy.net> writes:
> Having to do this chmod step annoys me. Is there some way to automate the detection and setting of permissions on the device such that everything is done correctly a moment or so after I connect the Blackberry over USB?

You can put rules down in /etc/udev/ruled.d/ and have them fire when the
appropriate device is plugged in.    Here is one that I have for my gps:

/etc/udev/rules.d/55-wsrcc-hotplug.rules:

# SIRF-III usb gps (Globalstar bu-XXX)
#
# added by wsr 2006-05-02
# /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:13.1/usb3/3-2
# manufacturer="Prolific Technology Inc."
# idProduct=2303
# idVendor=067b
# version=" 1.10"
# product=USB-Serial Controller
# add this too??
# SYSFS{idVendor}=="067b"
KERNEL=="ttyUSB*", SYSFS{idProduct}=="2303", SYMLINK+="gps" GROUP="staff" MODE="
0666"

It takes a bit of playing with "lsusb -v" to figure out what unique
product or vendor name you can latch onto.  Once you figure that out you
can chmod the device or even make a symlink to have a generic name you
can access it with.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht              http://www.full-steam.org/  (ipv6-only)
         You may need to config 6to4 to see the above pages.