file conflicts with previous version

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue May 19 14:18:55 UTC 2009

Once upon a time, James M. Leddy <jleddy at redhat.com> said:
> I know that upgrading via yum is unsupported an not to ever do it and
> to use preupgrade, but I'm still curious as to why I get messages like
> this:
>
>   file /etc/gpm-twiddler.conf from install of
> gpm-1.20.6-3.fc11.x86_64 conflicts with file from package
> gpm-1.20.5-2.fc10.i386

The problem is that in F10, gpm was multilib on x86_64 (there is an i386
and an x86_64 package).  In F11, the multilib parts of gpm were moved to
a subpackage, gpm-libs, and only that subpackage is multilib (the only
gpm base package in F11 is x86_64).

I'm not sure how anaconda handles that (does the gpm.i386 just get
left behind?).

Maybe the gpm-libs package should have had an obsoletes on the last
version that didn't have the separate gpm-libs package (0:1.20.5-2)?  I
think that would have covered this case (or would that have just caused
gpm to be removed unless something else requires the base gpm package?).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>