Identity (was Re: If you wondered why Intel sucks on Fedora read this)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 19 21:31:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-18 at 18:41 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:

> If you're part of a well-known team, and you want your own website that
> reflects the work you do as part of that team, make sure your choice of
> domain name (maybe keithp.developer.intel.com or
> keithp.people.freedesktop.org). Intel might prefer to use another domain
> name entirely - intelgraphics.org - that's fine too. It carries the
> company logo, the regular Intel site links to it.

Shan't. Your logic does not convince me. I moved from Mandriva to Red
Hat; should I move my blog also? Should I have three blog sites, one for
Mandriva-related stuff (which I still sometimes write about), one for
Red Hat, one for other topics? No, thanks. My blog is *my* blog, I'll
host it in my space.

> The site looks legitimate, but it could be a well-crafted hoax.

This is a well-known problem on the Internet. It's hardly credible to
argue that the solution should be "everyone have their blog hosted by
their employer". In absence of a truly
perfect-yet-still-somehow-not-privacy-invading internet ID system, you
use common sense and prudence. It's pretty easy to establish that Keith
Packard is a leading X.org contributor - a brief perusal of the commit
logs tells you that - and the chance of someone establishing a site
pretending to be his site, for the purposes of publishing
plausible-sounding yet misleading synposes of X.org driver development
progress (to...what end, exactly?) is close to zero. Yes, it's not *at*
zero, so with your tin foil hat on, you can't believe that site is
actually run by the same person (or three-headed lizard) who makes code
contributions to X.org. But it's close enough for government work.

Hell, I doubt you've personally verified the GPG signatures of anyone
who posts to this list, so you don't know who we all are. Unless you
no-one's hacked into my Red Hat email account - you've no idea this
email really comes from me (and, of course, to you, 'Adam Williamson' is
a pretty nebulous concept, if you think about it). But most people are
happy to work on that assumption...

I really think you're attaching far too much importance to an issue that
doesn't practically rear its head much, and not thinking too hard about
your proposed solution.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey