No more graphical boot on Intel chip laptop

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Thu May 21 14:32:06 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 09:04 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 07:04:40 -0600,
>   "Christopher A. Williams" <chriswfedora at cawllc.com> wrote:
> > After the last couple of updates with F11 Preview, I no longer am seeing
> > the graphical bootup with Plymouth. I'm only getting the text mode
> > startup display before eventually loading X and going to a login screen.
> >
> > I thought maybe this was just a temporary thing, but I still seem to
> > have the problem after a couple of additional changes to come along.
> >
> > Anyone else seeing this, or am I alone on it?
>
> Yes, but intentionally. Are 'rhgb' and 'quiet' still list as kernel
> parameters in grub.conf?
>
> I remove them in order to see boot messages.

Short answer: Yes

Here's the corresponding entry in my grub.conf:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.29.3-140.fc11.x86_64 ro
root=/dev/mapper/vg_chrislaptop-lv_root rhgb quiet

If I were to remove "rhgb quiet", the startup messages should be
displayed. I wouldn't see the text mode Plymouth startup (the light
blue / dark blue / white status line at the bottom of the screen).

Since I do see the text mode plugin, I'm assuming Plymouth no longer
likes something about my Intel display.

Perhaps it's time to Bugzilla...

Cheers,

Chris

PS: And, yes, Chris (OK - Christopher) is my real name. It's more than
apparently such as alleged in another thread... :)

--
"If you are calm while all around you is chaos,

--Unknown