Flash instructions updated

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 22 17:46:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 01:24:56PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM, TK009 <john.brown009 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >>
> >> There are probably people using Fedora who don't care as much about
> >> software freedom, and just want a working Adobe Flash.  For them, it may
> >> be a matter of first resort, and so that admonition hopefully tells them
> >> there are alternatives that may work for them, depending on the
> >> Flash-based sites they frequent.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way I could put this so it's not misunderstood?
> >>

> > Being first and foremost a marketing guy, no I do not believe you could have
> > put it any better.
> > There is also freedom of choice. Those that would use adobe as the a first
> > choice are not freedom haters.
> > You never used those words but your tone suggested it to me. It was a slight
> > and I read it as such.
> >
> It's not a slight - just the way things are. People who care about
> software freedom don't willingly choose to perpetuate non-free
> software. ie, people who care about software freedom use ogg instead
> of mp3, use free video drivers, instead of proprietary blobs.
> It's a akin to the difference between a vegetarian and omnivore. If
> you are a vegetarian you don't willingly eat meat. There is no slight
> intended or inferred, but you can't be a vegetarian and eat prime rib,
> you are an omnivore (or perhaps carnivore, but it's unlikely that you
> only consume meat). Those terms aren't slights, it's just the way
> things are. Admittedly we don't have nice labels to attach to 'people
> who care about free software' and 'people who don't care about free
> software'; but the situation is analogous.

I think a simple way of putting this is, "not caring" is not the same
as "hating."

I don't care particularly about asparagus farming, but I certainly
don't hate it or the people who care about it.  We all pick the things
that really matter to us, and the rest doesn't automatically go into a
"hate" pile.

Fedora respects people's right to choose, and so do I.  That's why I
worked on that page! :-)