Shouldn't the fact that beagle doesn't work with both firefox and thunderbird be a release blocker?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 22 19:00:07 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 09:59 -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> On 05/22/2009 09:56 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Since this is not part of the "default install" it should not be
> > considered
> > a blocker bug.
> It seems to me that the fact that Fedora does not have a desktop search
> engine included in its default install could itself be considered a
> significant enough functionality gap to constitute a bug.

>From personal experience with distributions that do this, I disagree.
Removing Beagle is one of the first things many Mandriva users do, on
installing the system.

It seems that it's just not a function many users find useful, yet.
Maybe a more comprehensive implementation like KDE's Nepomuk will do the
trick. But yeah, desktop search is not very widely used on Linux, and
Beagle not working with Thunderbird / Firefox wouldn't be considered a
blocker by many in QA or releng, I don't believe.

BTW, the correct procedure if you consider an issue to be a blocker is
simply to mark it as one - set it to block F11Blocker. If anyone
currently CCed on the bug disagrees, they will discuss it then.
Otherwise, it will stay so marked, and will be reviewed by the QA /
releng team that reviews blocker issues (which we've been doing for a
couple of weeks now) at the appropriate time. Just adding a comment to
the bug won't do the trick - there's far too many bugs for there to be
people from QA / releng following every single one, looking out for
comments that say "this should be a blocker!"
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey