Flash instructions updated

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 22 20:47:20 UTC 2009

On 05/23/2009 02:04 AM, David wrote:

> This is all baloney. Use the tool that will do what you need to do. A
> computer is a machine, a toll. Not an altar. Bread on the table beats
> hungry every time. IMO.

I might personally choose to stay hungry on occasions if it means it
brings food to a person who is more hungry. You have a personal stand
point of using whatever tool that fits your needs and value not staying
hungry.

Fedora values are a bit different

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Foundations

It is ok to use a distribution that doesn't match your values perfectly
but it important to recognize that there is such a difference.  This
doesn't mean that everyone who uses Flash is a traitor but again, this
discussion is about a compromise. Fedora's compromise in the case of
Flash is to describe how to install Flash but also warn users that they
are installing proprietary software.

People who value the virtues of Free software over the utilitarian
benefits would choose to use swfdec or gnash and file bug reports when
things don't work. Others would ignore the warning and install the
proprietary software and deal with somehow when they face bugs. Again,
it is a compromise. I doubt you are going to convince everybody who
values free and open source software to abandon their beliefs in favor
of your thinking. It is better to understand that there is a difference
in values and respect that.

Rahul