what package will give me /lib/ld-linux.so.2 on x86_64?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri May 22 22:23:34 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 05/20/2009 04:51 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>>> Okay, we have glibc.x86_64, glibc.i686 installed and glibc.i586
>>> available, why 586 and 686, I thought all the 386 became 586?
>>>
>> Oh, and the i586 and i686 can't be in at the same time.
>
> Glibc is a relatively special case, where the compiler optimizations
> used to compile it can actually have a significant effect across the
> system, even if the other items are not compiled with the same set of
> optimizations.
>
> So, to sum it up simply:
>
> On 32-bit x86
> ===
> Pick One:
> * i586 (good)
> * i686 (better, but only if your hardware supports i686)
>
> On 64-bit x86_64
> ===
> Pick one:
> * x86_64 (only option)
>
> On a Multilib system (32bit and 64bit libs installed side by side)
> ===
> * Pick One from the 32-bit x86 list (i586 or i686)
> * Pick One from the 64-bit x86_64 list (x86_64)
>
> This gets even more complicated on sparc, be glad you're on x86! :)

Thanks, you have clarified it and I'm keeping a copy in my folder of stuff I
send people when they ask me questions I've eventually answered.

But the package I really want to use is still looking for the .i586 version, and
the other stuff I have will use that, and performance is not an issue compared
to network and display slowness.

Steve Dowe wrote:

 > If you're intending on running an GUI application using 32-bit libs, you
 > may also need to install some X components.
 >

 > su -c 'yum install glibc.i686 libXext.i586' should see to both,
 > including dependencies.

I did try erasing glibc.i686 and installing glibc.i586, that got all of the
programs but one going. One is still whining, I just haven't had time to chase
it yet, but I think that the two of you have defined the issues well enough to
get me to a solution eventually when I bang on it one more time. I suspect that
removing more i686 and dropping to i586 will do the job.

Thanks to both of you, and the other folks who offered suggestions, I appreciate
the thought.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>