Flash instructions updated

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 22 22:42:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 15:30 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> Exactly.  If the thing does not work, then you have to use the tool
> that works.  I tried the gnash and it did not do the job.  You have to
> use the tools that work for you.
>
> That it does not match the goals of the Fedora project, yes I have to
> agree with Adam.  But on the other hand, but one has to use the tools
> that work for our systems and those include the nvidia drivers and the
> flash plugin from Adobe.

That was never the point here; no-one's trying to tell anyone what to do
on his or her own personal system. Heck, I use the Adobe Flash plugin,
and the NVIDIA proprietary driver. But what we were talking about is a
page on the Fedora Wiki - which should be written with the Fedora
philosophy in mind. That's all.

I think most people who run Fedora would either be free software
purists, or would say "use free software first, but if you can't find
any that works for the job in hand, non-free is okay". The change to the
page that Paul wrote simply states the second - if you care about free
software, a non-free piece of software is clearly the last resort, i.e.,
you use it if nothing free does the job. It probably helps if you think
about the alternative: if you *don't* care about free software, then
there's no reason Adobe Flash would be the last resort, because you
wouldn't give a fig if it were free or not. It would be the first
resort, probably, because it's the plugin from the author of Flash, and
it's what most people use. So you'd pick it *first*, and go to a
third-party alternative only if it didn't work for you. That's the only
distinction being drawn.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey