Flash instructions updated

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sun May 24 13:36:37 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 09:29 +0200, Kåre Fiedler Christiansen wrote:

> Anyway, you are hardly being constructive. Do you seriously suggest
> that the page describing how to use the Adobe flash plugin is better
> if you omit how to make a certain feature of it work? Currently you
> will simply get distorted images if you try to use the feature, and it
> will reflect on Fedora as if Fedora doesn't support webcams properly.

Indeed!

In fact, this entire thread is one hornet's nest that I truly regret
having somehow kicked over. Believe me when I say that was _never_ my
intent.

By the by, I never got to answer Paul's question of how he could have
put this better with respect to "people who care about software
freedom", as it appeared. The interesting part is, if you read the posts
carefully, we're in agreement about the values, but just have a slight
difference of opinion in in how they are best expressed. And even then,
there was room for discussion and compromise. I would have used
something like this to make the point:

        The page has been updated to include that 1) Flash is not Free
        Software (although it may be available free of charge), and 2)
        that there are Free and Open Source software alternatives to
        Flash which may be adequate for an individual user's needs.
        Making this annotation is in keeping with Fedora's values of
        promoting and encouraging the use of Free and Open Source
        software.

I think this makes the same point, but does so in a way that better
avoids the "slight" that I and a couple of others detected in the
language.

OK - moving on now. Hopefully others will as well! There a release that
still needs a few small kinks knocked out and we don't need to be
distracted.

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw