Volume applet for gnome?

Reid Rivenburgh reidr at pobox.com
Sun May 24 15:58:48 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Lawrence E. Graves
<lgraves at risingstarmbc.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-05-24 at 15:37 +1000, Greg wrote:
>> On 24/05/2009 2:50 PM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>> > Hi.  I got my F11 preupdate to work; I think maybe an anaconda update
>> > did the trick.  So now I'm running F11.  I've run into a few issues.
>> > I used to have an audio volume applet installed in my gnome panel,
>> > which made it convenient to quickly adjust the volume.    When I first
>> > logged in under F11, it put up a dialog that said something about that
>> > applet no longer exisitng.  I don't see an obvious replacement.  Is
>> > there something else I could use or install?  (I guess I'll ask about
>> > other issues in other mails as necessary....)
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > -- Reid
>> >
>> >     Try running at a console:
>> >
>> >     alsamixer -c0
>> >
>> >     that should give you access to the 'real' hardware volume controls
>> >     for your card. You may need to boost one of those to get full volume.
>> >
>> that may get you more sound volume
>>

> Install gst-mixer either at root or yum extender.  Then go to
> system/preference/Advanced sound and there it is

Thanks for the pointers.  I didn't have gst-mixer installed.  But it
looks like a standalone mixer tool.  I'd like to have a gnome panel
applet that I can use to easily mouse wheel up/down to change the
volume.  Does gst-mixer or something else provide that?  I'm not even
sure what the name of the volume applet was in F10 and earlier....
(And to clarify, sound is working fine.)

Reid