Merging F11 FAQ into other wiki pages

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 28 05:17:22 UTC 2009

> On 05/28/2009 03:37 AM, Susan Lauber wrote:
>
> > Many section of the release notes already point to a wiki page for
> > additional and updated information.  That would be the first place I
> > would recommend for additional content at this stage.

So, the release notes themselves point to
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/ for the latest version, but
this is a non-wiki version.  I think the only thing that was "missing"
from the release notes was the change to "ls", and it appears there is
no real way to add it.  If this information were available on the "ls"
manpage, I don't think there would be any need to list this item in an
FAQ, but people just don't find it wherever the answer is currently
buried.

There is clearly stuff missing from
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/en-US/html/

It's a bit odd that the yum and preupgrade methods are not mention in
the installation guide, but they are mentioned in the release notes.

The installation guide doesn't point to a more updated or wiki-editable
version of itself, which seems like a systemic problem.  If it were
available in wiki form, the coverage would probably have already been
broadened on at least these points.  Is there anything we can do now
other than "wait for Docs people to add the requested content"?

Given how poorly it is linked to from other pages, it seems unlikely
that people will come across the Fedora 11 FAQ page before they come
across Common F11 Bugs.  (If people are searching rather than browsing,
it doesn't really matter what page the answer is on.)  Since progress on
integrating content into the "right" places is blocked, my instinct
would be to simply merge the FAQ into the Common F11 Bugs page, since
most of it belongs there anyway.  We could then remove out-of-place
items as they are integrated properly.  It would broaden the mission of
"Common Bugs" a bit, but maybe there is a need for a unified "Common
Problems and Questions" page for each release?

-B.