Rawhide dailies on USB drive

Christopher Beland beland at alum.mit.edu
Thu May 28 05:46:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 09:22 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> If you want to do this a lot, you should probably be maintaining your
> own local mirror using rsync and using livecd-creator to make spins.
> These will be for cds / dvds, but there is a program to convert these
> to a liveusb image.
>
> You could have most of it scripted and use cron to run it when you aren't
> actively doing stuff  and have a reasonably current version ready to test
> when you wanted.

That seems like too much work, so after playing around, I have found
that downloading a prerelease LiveUSB, enabling data persistence, and
then doing "yum update" will get you a daily Rawhide-enabled LiveUSB
image.  Or at least it would except I encountered some space limitations
and some bugs which have sidetracked my component testing.  But it seems
like something which should work and if it doesn't people should file
bugs about it.  So, I've updated advice for testers to list it as an
option:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#Download_an_ISO

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/Rawhide#How_to_avoid_disturbing_an_existing_system

-B.