recently, "Failed to print document, Too many failed attempts"

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 28 10:35:55 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 10:44, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 28 May 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   just recently, i'm having regular trouble printing PDF files thru
> > "evince", with evince complaining as above.  i used to be able to
> > throw a 200-page PDF file at the printer but now, i have to do it in 8
> > and 16 page chunks at a time.  and sometimes, even *that* doesn't
> > work.
> >
> >   is anyone else seeing this?
>
>   just to add a bit more detail, i have a brother double-sided
> printer, and i wanted to print a 182-page PDF file, double-sided and 4
> images per page.
>
>   my first attempt to print the whole thing at once failed as above.
> i reduced the page sets until i was printing only 8 pages at a time
> (which would fit on a single sheet of paper).  that strikes me as
> unnecessarily inconvenient, and i'm pretty sure i used to be able to
> print sizable documents in one fell swoop.
>
>   could it be the printer/printer driver combo?

Just a thought - you say '4 images per page'.  Have you checked the size of
those images?  A page with 4 images on, if they are fairly large, would take
a long time to process before printing, and may be causing time-outs.  While
I would expect to be able to send a large document in one go, I'd be doubtful
if it contained so much processing requirement.  HTH

Anne