One (more) week slip of Fedora 11 Release

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 30 15:08:16 UTC 2009

Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> the anaconda storage is very buggy since fc11 beta 2
>>>
>>> this really need's to be fixed.
>> That's...not a very useful statement. It's been buggy ever since it was
>> *completely rewritten* for the Fedora 11 cycle. Both the Anaconda
>> developers and the QA team are perfectly well aware of this; rewriting
>> such a fundamental chunk of code is _always_ going to introduce new
>> bugs, we knew this before the project was ever initiated. But we still
>> needed to rewrite the code, so there was nothing else to do.
>>
>> Just saying "it's buggy, fix it!" doesn't help anyone. We know it's
>> buggy. We're working very hard on fixing it. Constructive input would be
>> one of:
>
> I agree to a point. It seems to me on a number of occasions over the
> history of Fedora anaconda has been the reason for release slips. I
> reported a number of bugs (or added my details to a number of bugs)
> for custom disk installations and even though they've been reported
> (beta or even alpha stage) they're still not fixed.
>
> Anaconda definitely needs massive re-writes but I would expect that to
> land by the alpha rather than having pretty decent fixes still coming
> in after the preview release and hence the delays that have come with
> that. Not reporting fairly major bugs in the beta and still not having
> them closed now having read comments like "custom installs to single
> partitions aren't normal use cases".

If install to a single partition isn't a normal use for a new release, which
many people will install in parallel with their working release, then we are not
talking to the same power users, administrators, and developers of non-Fedora
software.

Swept under the rug, my aunt would have called it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>