F11 monitor configuration / virtualization

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Fri May 1 02:48:06 UTC 2009

On 04/30/2009 09:52 PM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 21:46 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Where did the monitor configuration go in f11? I've booted a virtualized
>> instance of F11 using kvm but can only get a maximum resolution of 800x600.
>> The monitor is displayed as "unknown" and there seems to be no way to
>> select one (like for example a generic 1280x1024 one).
>> I'm also running an instance of WinXP using kvm and there I get higher
>> resolutions out of the box.
>
> What X driver do you end up using?  What does the X log look like?
>
> There's a hack in the cirrus driver to detect when we're running under
> kvm, but naturally it only works if you're running a sufficiently new
> kvm.  There is no equivalent hack in the vesa driver, but there
> certainly could be.

I just rebuilt the latest f11 qemu/kvm for my f10 host system and now I can
get to 1024x768x24 or 1280x1027x16 but not higher. According to the log the
cirrus "card" is only equipped with 4mb of video ram. Could this be a
limiting factor? 4mb seems to be a rather low amount of ram these days for
a video card.

Regards,
   Dennis