Fedora 11 fail because of Anaconda :(

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon May 4 14:49:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 15:15 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> I don't have any warm fuzzies about how good F11 is going to be;
> >> I'm afraid that anaconda's instability has blocked a lot of the
> >> testing we'd normally get.
> >
> > Fair point.  I'm optimistic with the number of Test Days and the
> > increasing use of live images for testing.  That said, there is a
> > significant hurdle to overcome for calming down the installer.
>
> I agree the test days have helped but its concerning that I still
> can't do an install with custom partitions with the preview release.
> And there doesn't seem to be a lot of traction on the bug to fix it
> before release.

I agree Peter.  From my perspective things have been improving with
anaconda.  However, the exposure continues to be the previous disk
layout especially those involving dmraid.

When filing a bug, please be as specific as possible when outlining the
"steps to reproduce."  Order is very important for the custom disk
partitioning.  If a traceback occurs, the resulting traceback file
(/tmp/anacdump.txt) and any screenshots are tremendously helpful.

In the case of bug#492154, it appears that the previous OSX disk layout
may be the culprit.  I'm reaching out to the anaconda-devel folks for
advice on further pinpointing this issue.  I'll hopefully follow-up with
more information.

Thanks,
James