F11 Preview problems

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon May 4 18:00:41 UTC 2009

> There's also 0x10DE 0x0008, 0x0009 and 0x0010. From what I can find, the
> 0x0008 and 0x0009 were the original NV1 chips - Diamond Edge 3D, as they
> were released. lshw claims the 0x0010 is the NV2, which was never
> released to the public.

nv1 hasn't had a native driver since XFree86 3.3.6.  Also I think I own
two-thirds of the world's collection of them by this point.  (The third
card being in a glass case at the NVIDIA office in Santa Clara.)

> nv claims support from NV3 onwards (but not NV1). nouveau claims support
> from NV4 onwards.
>
> based on the above, I'd recommend the attached changes to
> xserver-1.5.99.902-nouveau.patch . Basically, blacklist 0008 and 0009
> for 10DE and 12D2 to vesa, blacklist 0018 and 0019 for both to nv, and
> use nouveau for everything else.
>
> The oddball 0x10b4 0x1b1d is, according to old kudzu and ldetect-lst,
> the STB Velocity 128 3D, which Google (and my own slightly unreliable
> memory) agree is a Riva 128-based card. It seems to be the only time
> this PCI vendor ID was ever used, so we can just send that vendor ID
> straight to nv.

Technically the nv driver doesn't recognize 0x10b4 at all, so I'm happy
to let it continue to fall back to vesa.

Anyway.  nouveau patch in the server changed to special-case nv1 and nv3
onto vesa and nv, respectively.  Thanks!

- ajax