Ext4 FAQ

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 4 22:38:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 02:52 +0530, Gireesh wrote:
> >I had mistakenly assumed that this would be settable interactively.
> > In fact I don't quite see why it isn't.
>
> I rather prefer the current setup to manually specify "ext4migrate"
> a) Since ext4 isn't backward compatible to ext3.
> b) users when interactively prompted with a message to choose between
> ext4 and ext3, would most of the time choose ext4 because of the
> higher number without knowing the facts.

There's something to be said for that, however I think hiding it in the
Anaconda options will virtually guarantee that most people, keen to try
out their shiny new F11, simply won't see it.

I tend regard Anaconda options as a last resort, e.g. for when your
machine won't boot the installer because of some video driver problem.

poc