a couple of problems with FC11 Preview

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue May 5 01:06:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 19:53 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 09:45 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>

> > Also, strangely, I can see options (in the Gnome dialog) to enable
> > two-finger scrolling, but I don't think my trackpad supports this (at
> > least, it didn't work when I enabled it) so I can't help but wonder
> > whether this option shouldn't appear unless the trackpad supports it (as
> > everyone know, Gnome has too many options as it is ;-])
> >

> Yes, the options should be disabled if they don't work. Unfortunately,
> the only way to find out if the trackpad supports them is reading
> Xorg.log, currently...

Actually, the new synaptics driver can emulate two-finger scrolling on
non-multitouch pads - something about detecting the width of the "touch"
and using that. It works quite well, actually.

So even though your pad may not be hardware multitouch capable, the
driver actually *does* support it.

Free upgrade! You're welcome! :D

-w