NetworkManage and ypbind

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Tue May 5 15:07:49 UTC 2009

Having trouble with getting a NIS binding on a new install of F11 preview.

NetworkManager is not configuring the ethernet connection so I've
disabled it and just use the network service.  This is a workstation,
doesn't ever move, has no wireless and won't ever have wireless.  I get
no binding when NIS starts.  I've tried specifying a NIS server and
tried broadcasting, neither method works.

On a whim I removed the F11 ypbind and rpm installed ypbind from F10 and
it works just fine.

Got the source for F11 ypbind, compiled without DBUS/NetworkManager
support and that one seems to work just fine.  The man page for ypbind
says that if NetworkManager is not running it will behave as usual and
assume that network interfaces are up and available.  That doesn't seem
to be the case.

Any one seen this and possibly found a good solution?

--
Stephen Berg
Systems Administrator
stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil