how to get information out of koji with less pain?

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Wed May 6 12:02:59 UTC 2009

On 05/06/2009 01:30 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    i'm currently trying to upgrade my kernel to the koji version to
> test the new video drivers, but after i've downloaded the koji kernel
> packages and try "yum localinstall", i'm told i'm missing the
> corresponding "kernel-firmware" package.
>
>    so all i want to do is find the koji kernel-firmware package but
> the obvious tricks don't work.  i would have thought that going to
> koji.fedoraproject.org and searching on "kernel-firmware" would do the
> trick but i get no hits.  what's the proper way to just *find* a koji
> package given its name?  thanks.

I think either the combo-box entry for the search box should be renamed
from "packages" to "source packages" to more properly reflect that koji
indeed does *not* search the list of packages or preferably koji should be
changed to actually search the list of packages proper (as it pretends it
does right now).

Having to deduce the package origin is easy enough in this case but take a
look for example at "bochs-bios" and "bochs". "bochs-bios" exists as a
source package but it actually generates a package "bochs-bios-data" while
the source package "bochs" creates the package "bochs-bios" that you would
expect the source package "bochs-bios" to generate. Add the possibility of
virtual provides into the mix and things become unneccessarily convoluted.

I think a search for a package should use the list of final user
installable packages rather than source packages:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_astonishment

Regards,
   Dennis