Jigdo and the release day

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed May 6 14:31:38 UTC 2009

Bob Gustafson wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 16:54 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> I have here the beta ISO, the snapshot ISO, and the contents of /var/cache/yum
>> which I run with cleanup off. When the final release day comes, is there a way I
>> can tell jigdo to use that combination to reduce the network traffic and server
>> load?
>>
>> RELATED: can I do some magic on /var/cache/yum to get the old install DVD to use
>> the new stuff? My test with createrepo seemed to generate a local repo which
>> worked for after the fact install and update, I'm just trying to avoid
>> installing obsolete packages and blowing them away again, on a slow machine that
>> really rots.
>>
>> --
>> Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
>>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
>> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>>

> I think it is possible to use an old DVD (such as a test preview disk)
> as one of the repositories for jigdo. Then you only need to download
> component rpms that are newer than what is on the DVD.

That's what I'm trying to avoid! I *have* all of the RPMs, or at least many of
them, in /var/cache/yum, because I have "keepcache=1" in /etc/yum.conf. That's
how I speed updating multiple machines, they all share (at least at update time)
an NFS mounted /var/cache/yum.

But when I 'createrepo' on the cached RPMs I get a repo I can use for update
*after* the install, while providing other repos at the time of the install so I
don't install the old package and then update it, but install the latest the
first time. So I want to build a new install DVD, but make use of all the stuff
I have already downloaded.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>