NetworkManage and ypbind

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed May 6 17:48:22 UTC 2009

Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 06 May 2009 09:26:13 -0700
> Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>
>> BTW, this is the same catch-22 that one has for nfs-mounted home
>> directories.
>
> The whole problem was the presentation of NM as a "replacement"
> for the old network stuff when in fact they have almost nothing
> in common. The old network code was flawless with static
> IPs and unchanging DHCP assigned network connections and just
> absolutely dead horrible at wireless and portable computers
> that hop around between networks.

Well, it wasn't easy but it worked OK if you understood the weirdness
of wpa_supplicant and set up multiple network profiles (which I still
have).

You're right though...NM is NOT a network management replacement.  And
unless they provide it with a relatively easy way to grok that "the
network HAS to be up at boot time", it never will and Anaconda should
give you the option of using the old network scripts or WM.
-  Tempt not the dragons of fate, since thou art crunchy and taste   -
-                         good with ketchup.                         -