NetworkManage and ypbind

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed May 6 18:27:24 UTC 2009

Adam Pribyl wrote:
> On Tue, 5 May 2009, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
>> Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone else find it odd that ypbind (necessary for network-based
>> logins via NIS) is dependent on a service that will not start until a
>> user is already logged in?  Ditto for anything authenticating off a
>> remote LDAP server.  Can you say "Catch-22"?
>
> Well it is odd, but may be it is meant in a new "upstart" way, that if
> service needs network, it will start NM as dependency.

That's not the issue.  NM is started.  You don't get access to any
networks _until_ you log in as NM uses the user info to show you which
networks are available to you.  Problem is, it's impossible to log in if
you authenticate against NIS or LDAP which both need the network
accessible in order to authenticate the user.  Round and round we go.
- "I was contemplating the immortal words of Socrates when he said,  -
- 'I drank what?'"                   -- Val Kilmer in "Real Genius"  -