media key behavior?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu May 7 17:29:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 13:01 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Thu, 07 May 2009 08:33:16 -0700
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > Thinkpad?
>
> I don't think so. I finally tracked down the f10 behavior to
> key bindings in gnome-settings-daemon (which I turned off once
> I found em :-), but there seems to be something weirdly random
> with the keymap settings. In f10 some of the keys showed up
> in xev with keysyms (like XF86AudioMute), others were just plain
> keycodes with no associated keysym, and not only do a different
> set of keys have keysyms in f11, but the same keyboard in
> a different f10 box also shows different keysyms.
>
> Is the keymap something that is remembered permanently from
> install time or something? (Because all of these systems probably
> had different keyboards when they were installed).

AFAIK it shouldn't be, no, it gets auto-detected...HAL has quirks for
some laptop keyboards, otherwise it's in some other component, I forget
which.

AIUI all 'multimedia' keys should pass the appropriate XF86* keysym when
pushed, if not, it's a bug you should file on something. See above. :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey