newbie guide to asterisk on f11?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue May 12 14:34:06 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 04:51 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 May 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:
> >
> > > There is a book on-line "Asterisk - The Future of Telephony", 2nd
> > > ed. (604 pages) free http://astbook.asteriskdocs.org/ (See link in
> > > the middle of the page) This doc is for version 1.4, but for a
> > > newbie, there isn't much difference between 1.4 and 1.6
> >   at the moment, it *appears* that my problem is that asterisk has
> > been broken down into numerous packages for fedora packaging, and
> > i need to determine what packages to install along with the core
> > package mentioned above.  that means that i'm going to end up
> > suggesting some text along the lines of, "if you're trying to play
> > with asterisk on fedora 11, it's not enough to just install the
> > base package, you'll need to install a number of other packages,"
> > followed by some kind of recipe for determining which ones.
>
> I imagine that when F11 goes golden, and if it does include the
> 1.6.1 version of Asterisk, it will include all of the necessary
> packages, or will 'depend' on them.
>
> My guess is that so much time is being spent on sorting out other
> Fedora problems, Asterisk will be whipped into shape at the last
> moment, perhaps with a regress to an earlier version.
>
> You are playing with several moving targets.

  you say that like it's a bad thing.  oh, wait ... in any event, i'm
willing to spend a bit of time to figure out just how runnable it is
and the proper way to install and configure it, so if anyone else
wants to play along, they're welcome to.  at the moment, i'm giving up
on the package-based install and building from the tarball, which lets
me get a bit further along.

  if i figure out how to fix a few things, i can always just bugzilla
it and hope it gets in.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday