finger print setup

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed May 13 08:22:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, 12 May 2009 09:59:54 -0400 Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Do you have gdm-plugin-fingerprint installed ?
No, also because I didn't find mention of it in the wiki page....
After installing it, the "enable fingerprint login" button is here a
soon as I connect to gnome session and select the "about me" option
menu
Thanks.
Probably it's worth while to add a mention in the wiki...

I tested all what requested and it seems to work as expected, at least
in my hw setup (see below for questions/comments)

    * Person sets their fingerprint in gnome-about-me
ok. Able to set up the three registration points and register.
btw: where is my fingerprint information registered/stored? When I
disable it, is it the file/structure that contained it completely
deleted? Can one access/take this information when enabled and use
(with malicious intentions, for example) in other contests and for
other purposes?

    * Person can log in using their fingerprint, and the session
behaves the same whether logged in with password or fingerprint. In
particular, gnome-keyring-daemon is running in both cases
ok for login.
A note: when I lock the screen and fingerprint is enabled, is it
correct/expected that now fingerprint is the ONLY way to unlock and
instead using the password is not allowed? I ask this because indeed
in my case I was not able to use password and I seem to remember that
with thinkfinger it was possible t use both the two (but I could be
wrong...)
If gnome-keyring-daemon means that trying to access a function that
needs admin power the admin password window is shown to the user, the
answer is yes and (of course) finger dowsn't work but the right admin
password does work.
Could it be seen as an improvement to enable use of fingerprint also
for admin password (so that for example the admin guy comes to the pc
and swaps his/her finger to enable admin functions)?

    * Person deletes their fingerprint in gnome-about-me
ok

    * Person can no longer log in with their fingerprint
ok
After re-enabling (with new set up of finger data) it works again

    * Another thing to test: turning fingerprint support off in
authconfig prevents login with fingerprint, but keeps the fingerprint
data, so that turning it back on doesn't force people to re-enroll.
ok. it works
Tested this way:
disable in authconfig,
remain in the same session gnome session and lock the screen
now fingerprint is not proposed in the dialog (and attempting to use
it doesn't unlock)
unlock with password: it works
re-enable in authconfig and repeat the steps above remaining in the
gnome session, now fingerprint works
No need to re-register data

Gianluca