Using a pulseaudio network sink

Masood masoodbeh at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:17:40 UTC 2009

Hi

I have the following setup:

Server: Ubuntu 8.04 on a desktop with pulseaudio configured to allow network
devices using local sinks.
Client: Fedora rawhide (up-to-date) with pulseaudio configured to use the
network sink on mentioned desktop. The gstreamer-plugins-ugly and
gstreamer-plugins-bad for have also been installed from rpmfusion-rawhide.

Now, playing certain file formats such as MP3 fails to a network sink while
they can be played fine locally. The totem give this error message when
trying to play a MP3 file; "pa_stream_proplist_update() failed: Not
supported". I have tried using VLC to play the file and it worked just fine.
It seems this is a problem with gstreamer. I'm wondering if anyone know this
is a known bug or have a solution to fix it?

Regards,
Masood