X11: Maximum number of clients reached

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 10:33:11 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm running Fedora rawhide since Fedora 11 beta, and everything worked
fine until recently. Now, if I run a session for a few days (I generally
don't log out, I suspend my laptop), after some time, I can't run any X
application anymore. I get the message:

Maximum number of clients reached

If I close some applications, I can continue for some time until the
error triggers again. Then, I have to log out, and start a fresh session.

If I use xlsclients, (after closing an application I'm quite sure
doesn't eat up all connections to the X server, like gmpc), I don't get
such a huge list. Now for example, I get:

$ xlsclients  | wc -l
44

From http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/X12 I can see there is a limit of
256 clients. I hardly reach the limit. But starting xterm for instance
is sufficient to trigger the error again.

Do you have any idea where I can gather information to know which
application is responsible?

As a side note, I'm using the RPM Fusion repository as well (we don't
have software patents in Europe, and I hope it'll stay this way). I also
have the flash player installed (I heard that troubles can come from
there). But I don't think this is the cause of the problem as I don't
visit that often sites containing flash. And the errors happens anyways.

Thanks.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya