Weird Character Mapping on Evolution on F11 Preview

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Sun May 17 13:50:27 UTC 2009

All:

Characters in certain messages I receive (example is subscription mail
from Moody's Bible Institute) have special characters that are not
displaying correctly.

Instead of showing the character (usually commas, apostrophes, and
single / double quotes), it shows a small square box with what appears
to be a hex code inside of it. I'm assuming that this is Evolution's way
of saying, "I give up - since I don't know how to display this
character, I'm going to display the hex code for this character
instead."

The strange part is not not every message does this. I get others with
things like copyright symbols and other special characters just fine.

I've tried changing the character mapping in Evolution to various
alternatives - the default is to use UTF-8. No luck.

Anyone else seeing this or have a way to fix?

Cheers,

Chris

"Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first;
nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first."

--Charles de Gaulle