Weird Character Mapping on Evolution on F11 Preview

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Sun May 17 14:56:33 UTC 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Christopher A. Williams wrote:

> Instead of showing the character (usually commas, apostrophes, and
> single / double quotes), it shows a small square box with what appears
> to be a hex code inside of it. I'm assuming that this is Evolution's way
> of saying, "I give up - since I don't know how to display this
> character, I'm going to display the hex code for this character
> instead."

I don't think it is just evolution, as that is the standard way to display
unicode characters if there isn't a matching character in the selected
font. It may be that that email is using a different character set and not
declaring it properly, or it may that there are fonts packages you can add
so that those characters display correctly.

 	Michael Young